Bruxism: The Silent Killer of Smiles
What is Bruxism?
Do you ever wake up in the morning with a sore jaw, headache, or shoulder pain? Have your teeth become extra sensitive or loose? Are your teeth worn down or cracked? If any of this applies to you, then you might be suffering from bruxism -- the involuntary or habitual clenching of the jaw and grinding of teeth, typically during sleep.
While some of the short term effects can include the symptoms mentioned above, if left untreated, bruxism can cause permanent jaw damage, like Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD), as well as tooth wear, fracturing and even tooth loss.
Did You Know?
- 2.5 billion of the world's population are suffering from bruxism, with over 200 million recorded in the US.
- Brusxism rates are higher in people with a family history of the disorder
- Bruxism is one of the most common sleep disorders
While the causes of bruxism aren’t completely understood, there are several factors that can affect teeth grinding.
- Stress, anxiety, and other psychological factors
- Use of psychoactive substances (tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, or medications)
- Sleep disorders, such as snoring or Sleep Apnea
The most common form of treatment for bruxism is a custom made night guard which protects your teeth from grinding together while you sleep. While there are many night guards available on the market, our night guards offer the best value and level of quality. OTIS custom night guards are the same quality as those you’d receive from a dentist, but cost 70% less.
If you suffer from bruxism, it’s crucial that you do not wait until it is too late and the damage has already been done. The only remedy to damaged teeth is expensive dental work, and we all know that’s no fun! (Unless you’re into that kind of thing…)
Protect your teeth and save yourself from major dental problems in the future. Click here to order your OTIS custom night guard today.